Burgum: guidelines for gatherings | Prairie Public Broadcasting

Burgum: guidelines for gatherings

May 15, 2020

Governor Doug Burgum says his administration is releasing guidelines tonight for large gatherings, as the state makes further strides to return to a "new normal" during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Burgum says North Dakota is currently at a moderate risk level in terms of the spread of the disease. A couple of months ago, he says the risk level was much more critical. But since then a lot of preparation has been done to strengthen the state's response readiness, and to slow the spread. Right now, Burgum says the state is moving toward "phase one."

"Under the moderate risk guidelines, gatherings at these facilities can be up to 50 percent of their certificate of occupancy, or up to 250 people. Gatherings of any size should not be held if proper distancing cannot be maintained, and food service within these venues must comply with all the North Dakota Smart Restart and universal standard protocols."

Burgum says once the risk is lowered, occupancy can be increased to 75%, with no more than 500 people gathered at once. At the lowest risk level, most activity can resume, including festivals and sporting events. Burgum says more details on those phases soon be made public.