Burlington | Prairie Public Broadcasting

Burlington

On this date in 1908, the Washburn Leader explained how the town of Burlington got its name.

The site for the town was prompted by a visit to the area in the spring of 1883 by Joseph Colton and James Johnson. At the fork of the Des Lacs and Mouse Rivers, they noticed a coal outcropping and thought the location was promising. Colton established a mine there.