Another $7 million allocated to deal with DAPL protest

Nov 30, 2016

Emergency Commission meeting 11/30/16.
Credit Dave Thompson / Prairie Public

The state’s Emergency Commission has approved another $7 million for costs associated with the Dakota Access Pipeline protests.

"This is the third request," said Sheila Peterson of the North Dakota Office of Management and Budget. "It totals $17 million."

Peterson told the Commission the money will come from special funds, as well as Bank of North Dakota borrowing authority.

Gov. Jack Dalrymple said he’s made a number of requests for federal help to deal with those costs – but so far, the costs have gone unanswered.

"This, I think, is going to play out over a considerable period of time," Dalrymple said. "I'm still hopeful that they will understand they've added to these costs. Ultimately, the Congress or the Administration will see it's a valid request."

House Majority Leader Al Carlson (R-Fargo) said the Emergency Commission action is necessary for public safety.

"We can't allow our people to be in danger because of all of this," Carlson said. "I have no great hope that in the near future, the federal government will come running with a check."

Dalrymple said law enforcement has done an admirable job in dealing with the protestors.

"They have not antagonized ot harassed any people," Dalrymple told the Commission. "They have done nothing but defend and protect. They are certainly to be commended for the way they have conducted themselves."

Senate Majority Leader Rich Wardner (R-Dickinson) agreed.

"We're very proud of them, despite the lies and the twisting of the truth that's on social media," Wardner saod.