Boundary Survey Completed
A bill was passed on March 13, 1972 to survey the northern boundary line and a commission for Great Britain and one for the United States met at Fort Pembina in September of that year to begin the survey of the Northwest boundary in Minnesota. The survey of the central boundary, which ran through North Dakota began on June 1, 1873. Work continued through the next two seasons until today in 1874, the Bismarck Tribune reported that the survey was completed, and Major Reno, who had been in charge of protecting the surveying party, had reported to Fort Buford and moved to Fort Totten.
With the line determined, work on marking the line began in 1875. Crews erected iron monuments with the engraved letters “G.B.”on the north side and “U.S.” on the south. The erection of monuments was completed October 7.
The commissioners of both countries met in London to agree on the line and compare maps. The report was completed and signed May 29, 1876.
By Tessa Sandstrom
Bismarck Tribune. September 9, 1874.
May, Ethel J. “The Location and Survey of the Northern International Boundary Line.” Collections of the State Historical Society of North Dakota, 4. Fargo (1913): 179-214.